Uljanik Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Bjelovarsko-bilogorska županija
Site address
The cemetery is located at 5, Duhovi Street.
GPS coordinates
45.51501, 16.99764
Perimeter length
133 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is now overgrown with trees, although graves do remain in one section of the site. There are broken tombstones. This may simply be a product of prolonged neglect and the site being reclaimed by nature.
Number of existing gravestones
7. Some of these tombstones are well-preserved. There are presumably more, but they are now located in dense woodlands.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

Uljanik is located between Hrastovac and Blagorodovac, on the right bank of the Čavlovica stream. The settlement mostly borders meadows, forests, and agricultural land. The area was occupied by the Turks in the mid-16th century. The area was then uninhabited for about one hundred years and, only in 1700, a large number of Serbs settled there, after which it became a part of Pakrác. The settlement was marked on a map of the first military survey in 1774 as the village of “Dorf Uljenik.” In 1829 Uljanik had 99 households and in 1910 the total population numbered 859 individual inhabitants. According to the 1910 census, 30% of its population was Czech, 26% Serbian, 14% German, 12% Croatian, and 7% Hungarian native speakers. The Jewish Community in Uljanik was a part of the nearby Daruvar Jewish community. In 1931 only 23 Jews lived in Uljanik and, by 1941, there were only 7 Jews left. Daruvar rabbi Jakob Gross was a religious teacher for Jewish children in the village. Later there were no Jews in the village. Owing to the emigration of young people, after 1945 the population of Uljanik steadily declined. In 2011, the settlement numbered only 287 inhabitants.

The Jewish cemetery of Uljanik was established in the 19th century and still exists today. There are still between 15-20 monuments in the cemetery, the oldest of which dates to 1900, and the latest of which dates to 1905.