Zwolen Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Masovian Voivodeship
Site address
The Jewish cemetery area is situated across the street from 31, Fryderyka Chopina Street.
GPS coordinates
51.3576864, 21.592361
Perimeter length
583 meters
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence. According to the survey team there was a small fence on a part of the cemetery, however they did not photograph it. It is likely that this belongs to one or more of the residential houses along the eastern border of the cemetery.
Preservation condition
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over
General site condition
The Jewish cemetery of Zwoleń is situated in a wooded area in the eastern part of the town. The cemetery area is now used as a local park. The adjacent areas are residential houses, the northern border of the cemetery is Fryderyka Chopina Street and to the south there is a small forest area. The site is overgrown with bushes and not maintained.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones have been preserved in situ. has info about one tombstone (from 1923), which is situated in the backyard of a private residential household.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The first records of Jews in Zwoleń date to the 16th century. In 1921, 3,787 Jews lived in the town (51.2% of the total population), most of whom were murdered in 1942 by the Germans in Treblinka.

The cemetery is located approximately 470 metres northeast of the city centre, on a hill on Chopina Street, and covers a trapezoidal plot of land with an area of approximately 2 hectares. The cemetery was likely established at the end of the 16th or beginning of the 17th century. The first known records of its existence come from a 1661 provincial inspection and from the privilege issued by King Michał Korybut Wiśniowiecki in 1671. In the 19th century, the cemetery was fenced with a wooden fence, and there was a wooden mortuary as well several wooden ohels. During World War II, executions and burials of Holocaust victims were carried out in cemetery. About 100 (or about 200 according to other sources) bodies of people murdered during the 1942 deportation are buried there. During the war, the cemetery was gradually destroyed. By order of the Germans, some tombstones were used to pave the road to Puławy. After 1945, a number of matzevot remained in the cemetery, though they were gradually stolen. On June 23, 1964, the Minister of Municipal Economy, following the resolution of the Presidium of the Municipal National Council in Zwoleń dated October 19, 1962, signed a decree on the closure and early liquidation of the cemetery. In the following years, a park was built in the cemetery. The last remaining tombstones were removed and buried. Currently, the park is neglected and overgrown with untreated vegetation. In 2014, during reconnaissance carried out by the “From the Depths” Foundation, destroyed matzevot were discovered underground. There is no form of commemoration of any kind. Single tombstones are held in the Regional Museum in Zwoleń.