Zsurk Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery of Zsurk was established as early as 1870, since it appears on the cadastral map of that year. The cemetery’s territory was enlarged over time and the newer part of the territory has been fenced. The oldest tombstone found in the cemetery dates to 1891, while the latest was erected in 1936.
The first Jews settled in Zsurk at the end of the 18th century and by 1840 there were 20 Jews living in the village. Later, the Jewish population increased to 84 in 1880 and 98 in 1910. By 1941 the community numbered 71 people. Following the differences between the Orthodox and the Maskilim at the Jewish Congress in 1869 which resulted in the Schism in Hungarian Jewry, the community joined to Orthodox steam. According to the Yad Vashem database, about 55 Jews from Zsurk were murdered in the Holocaust.