Zhuravnyky Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
Opposite 9, Zelena Street.
GPS coordinates
50.4349579, 24.6831357
Perimeter length
290 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is surrounded by an old 1 metre tall metal fence.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is well looked after, and is regularly maintained by a caretaker. However, it has been some years since he has been paid to do so, so he will likely cease his efforts soon. The fence around the cemetery is old and corroded. A new fence is required.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

There is no information on when the cemetery was established, but the earliest preserved tombstones date from the late 19th century. It first appears on Russian maps from the 1800s.

The Jewish population of Zhuravnyky is first mentioned in the second half of the 17th century. In 1700, there were 70 Jews living in the town. By the 18th century, the community had built a wooden synagogue which was rebuilt in 1865. By 1897, the Jewish population numbered 870 (64.9% of the total population). The community was divided between Olyka and Trisk Hasidic movements. During WWI, the Jews suffered under the Cossacks as well as Austrian troops. In 1918, a Jewish school was opened and the Jewish self-protection group was formed. In 1920, the community suffered a pogrom led by Polish army units. A decade later, the Jewish population numbered 779. The Wehrmacht occupied the town on June 22, 1941. In early October 1941, the Jews were deported to the nearby ghetto of Horokhiv, where about 500 were murdered on September 4, 1942. In 2005, a monument to the murdered Jews of Zhuravnyky was erected.

3D model