Zbryzh Jewish Cemetery
Starting at the local club, turn right and travel 80 metres down the road. At this point, take the turn into the fields and continue along it for 300 metres. The cemetery is located on the hillside.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over
General site condition
The cemetery site is located on a derelict hillside. The borders of the former cemetery are clearly visible.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved. There are some fragments resembling matzevot.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. Presumably it was marked on an old maps of 1880s. Nowadays there are few visible remains of the cemetery.
Jews most likely settled in Zbryzh in the second half of the 18th century, with a population of around 750 in 1765. Jews from nine other neighbouring villages were part of the local Jewish community. In the 19th century, Yehoshua Burshtein fulfilled the duties of Rabbi. In 1887, a synagogue operated. By 1897, the Jewish population declined to 281 people (17.8% of the total population). There is no available information about what happened to the Jewish community here after.