Zarichanka Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
The cemetery site is located on the northern side of the road from Stepanivka to Zarichanka, 200 metres after the entrance to the latter.
GPS coordinates
48.88841, 26.3911
Perimeter length
453 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
Most of the cemetery is demolished. The preserved matzevot are piled in a grove, with some of them partially sunken in the ground. The northern part of the cemetery site is now a field. The remainder of the site is used by locals for household chores and by a road service for storing construction materials.
Number of existing gravestones
About 15. There are no legible tombstones.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. According to the research by the IAJGS the tombstones dated back to 1860 on the cemetery but in 2019 they were not detected by ESJF surveyors team. The cemetery appears on Russian maps from the 1880s so it can be assumed that it emerged during that period.

In the 16th century, the organised Jewish community existed. In 1765, 609 Jews lived in Zarichanka. In the 1750s, the Polish career of Jacob Frank began from Zarichanka (former Lanckoroń). Here, in one of a private houses the followers of Frank danced around a naked woman, who symbolized the Torah in one of interpretations. In the late 18th – early 19th century, the community has been affected by epidemics. In 1867, four synagogues and a Jewish cemetery operated. In 1847, the Jewish population numbered 939, and swelled twice to figure of 1,893 (50% of the total) in 1897. Jewish children received education in a local heder, which functioned in the late 19th century. The first forerunner of the Zionist movement in Zarichanka was a Zionist circle (headed by I. Bronstein), which acted illegally from 1911. In 1913, five synagogues were in operation. In the 1920s, the Zionist cells “Ge-Halutz” and “Forein” were active, as well as the Zionist organizations “Yalde Zion” and “Ha-Tsofe” (in 1925). The magazine “OSM” was distributed. А Jewish school with a reading room, educational program, and drama circle functioned. In 1926, a Jewish council and a Jewish court were created. In 1923, 1,578 Jews resided in Zarichanka and this figure reduced to 915 Jews in 1939. The Jewish population of Zarichanka were deported to the Kamyanets’-Podil’skyy ghetto where they were executed.

3D model