Zamosc New Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Lublin Voivodeship
Site address
The cemetery is located at the intersection of Prosta, Karola Namysłowskiego and Bohaterów Monte Cassino streets.
GPS coordinates
50.719486, 23.266689
Perimeter length
731 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over
General site condition
It is a destroyed Jewish cemetery, it is not fenced, apart from the lapidarium. The area is covered with tall grass and bushes. Graffiti was found on the fence of the lapidarium.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones were found by the survey team. There is unproven information about overturned or sunken gravestones, clearing could reveal more. About 100 fragments are located in a fenced lapidarium. According to, the cemetery was in use between 1907 to 1941.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
There is a tziyun dedicated to Rabbi Yaakov Kranz, son of r. Zeev Wolf, “ha-maggid from Dubna”, who is said to have died in 1805. However, he must have been buried at the old cemetery of Zamość, since this cemetery had not been founded at that time.
Drone surveys

Historical overview

Jews first settled in Zamość in the 16th century. The first wooden synagogue was built in 1590 (according to other sources — in 1603). In the 17th century, there were two Jewish communes in the town: the Sephardi community and the Ashkenazi community. People associated with Zamość were, among others, Izrael Segal ben Mosze (a Talmudist, pioneer of the Haskalah movement, astronomer), Icchak Lejb Perec (a noted author and playwright), and Rosa Luxemburg (a labour movement activist). During World War II, there was a transit ghetto in Zamość. Almost all the people imprisoned there were murdered in 1942 in the Bełżec and Sobibór concentration camps. When the hostilities on the Eastern Front ended, around 200 Jews returned to the city, and the Jewish Committee was established. In the following months, most of the survivors left Zamość.

The cemetery served as a burial place until World War II. In 1942, people murdered during the so-called liquidation of the ghetto were buried in mass graves.

The cemetery was demolished during the war and the following decades. The fence and almost all the tombstones have been dismantled. The cemetery has since served as an arable field and space for allotment gardens. The funeral home refurbished into a residential building is the only thing that remains of the former cemetery.

In 1950, thanks to the efforts of the Zamość Jews, a monument commemorating the victims of the Holocaust was erected on the edge of the cemetery. It was built with discovered tombstones.
Around 1969, Bohaterów Monte Cassino Street was paved through the cemetery, and part of the site was taken over by the “Cora” Clothing Factory. In 2000, a wall was built behind the monument. Fragments of discovered tombstones were built into it. In 2017, the city authorities paved K. Namysłowskiego Street through the cemetery. During construction, the graves were dug up.

The cemetery is not fenced and its boundaries are unclear. It is not listed in the Register of Historic Monuments. It is owned by the State Treasury and managed by the city of Zamość.