Yarmolyntsi Old Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
19A, Naberezhna Street. There are 3 houses on the site, one of which is specified above.
GPS coordinates
49.20056, 26.82608
Perimeter length
294 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished and overbuilt Jewish cemetery
General site condition
Private houses were built over the northern section of the cemetery. The eastern section is now a field.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The cemetery was most likely established in 1910. It can first be found marked on a Russian map from the beginning of the 20th century. According to locals, the cemetery was demolished and overbuilt during the Soviet era. No visible traces of the cemetery or its boundaries remain today.

Jews were present in Yarmolyntsi from the second half of the 18th century. In 1765, there were 253 Jews in here and the number diminished four times after the Haidamak raid in 1775. Weekly markets and fairs made trade the key sphere where Jews were involved in from the 18th century. The Jewish population reached a peak 2,633 in 1897. A synagogue and a number of prayer houses existed. On July 5, 1920, during the Soviet-Polish war, Professor Israel Friedlaender and the Rabbi Bernard Cantor, delegates of the JDC, were murdered. In the Soviet period, the Jewish rural council was active in Yarmolyntsi. The Jewish population stood at 1,733 in 1931 and had fallen to 1,264 by the eve of the WWII. The town was captured by the Nazis on July 8, 1941. On September 2, 1942, a ghetto was erected. In a month Jews from the adjoining towns were confined in it. According to some sources, 14,000 Jews were victimized during the period of occupation.

3D model