Yaltushkiv Old Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
The cemetery is located behind the house at 8 Shevchenko Street.
GPS coordinates
48.99021, 27.51248
Perimeter length
471 мetres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery site is surrounded by a 1.2 metre tall wooden fence.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
Part of the cemetery is demolished, but a small section remains intact. The site is overgrown with trees, bushes, and seasonal vegetation. According to local testimony, the cemetery was once much larger, but during the war Nazi troops demolished the cemetery. Later, the remnants of the tombstones were arranged in a single pile and fenced. At some point during the 1970s, the decision was made to plant trees in the demolished section. There is also a locked ohel on the site, the key to which is hidden under a stone nearby. The site is overgrown with trees and bushes and rarely has visitors.
Number of existing gravestones
There is some stone debris around the site.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
There is an ohel on the site, belonging to one Leib Soreth, buried in 1791.
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The cemetery was established in the 18th century. According to locals, it was partly demolished during WWII, and trees were planted on the site in the 1970s. The ohel dates to 1791.

The town of Yaltushkiv was first mentioned în 1431. The Jewish community in Yaltushkiv numbered 192 in 1784. In 1793, after the Second partition of Poland, it came under the control of the Russian Empire, and became a part of the Podolia Governorate (Podolskaya Gubernia). In early December 1883, Yaltushkiv’s Jews were attacked in a pogrom. In 1897, the Jews in Yaltushkiv comprised 1/3 of the population: 1238 of 3533. By 1913, there were two Jewish prayer houses.
After 1922, Yaltushkiv became a part of the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic within the USSR.
In 1926, the Jewish population of Yaltushkiv was 1392. A Yiddish elementary school, of four grades, and a Jewish council (soviet) operated from the 1920s. Most Jews worked in factories (sugar, textiles, etc), in artisan cooperatives, and in a Jewish kolkhoz of 19 families. By 1939, there were 1212 Jewish residents.
In 1941, less than 100 Jews succeeded in fleeing to the East, and around 100 were drafted into the Red Army, with most remaining behind. Many Jews from Western Ukraine and Bessarabia stopped in Yaltushkiv on their way to the East.
The Germans arrived on the 15th of July 1941, establishing a ghetto and murdering a few hundred Jews between the 19th-20th August 1942. The young and skilled workers were used for slave labour and subsequently murdered. On October 15, 1942, 1194 Jews from Yaltushkiv and the surrounding area were executed in a second Aktion. About 30-50 Jews survived by fleeing to the Transnistria governorate.
In 1991, after the collapse of the Soviet Union, Yaltushkiv became a part of the independent Ukraine.
The old Jewish cemetery of Yaltushkiv was established in the 18th century and demolished during WW2, all that remains is an old ohel dated to 1791.

3D model