Wyszonki Koscielne Jewish Cemetery
Settlement in Wyszonki Kościelne date back to the second half of the 15th century. Wyszonki Kościelne was a noble village belonging to the Jałbrzyk family and later the Wyszyński family. The village was significantly damaged during the Cossack and Swedish invasions. The village was also plagued by fires. The first records of the Jewish community are from 1674. The Jewish community certainly existed in 1735. Initially, the community was under the Tykocin kehillah (independent Jewish council or congregation). Local Jews made a living from small crafts, agriculture, and trade.
In 1750, the Jewish community numbered 150 people and there was a wooden synagogue. In 1752, the privilege to establish a rural market was granted. In 1765, the number of Jews increased to 163. In 1921, there were 38 houses and 278 inhabitants, including 177 Jews (63% of the total population). In 1937, anti-Semitic riots broke out. As a result, Antoni Czajkowski died. He was later portrayed as a national hero by the right-wing National Party. In 1941, during the German occupation, Jews from Wyszonki Kościelne were sent to the ghetto in Wysokie Mazowieckie and then transported to the extermination camp at Treblinka. The Jewish cemetery in Wysokie Mazowieckie was likely established at the end of the first half of the 18th century and functioned until the Second World War. No material traces have survived to today.