Wysokie Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Lublin Voivodeship
Site address
The cemetery is located at the intersection of Czysta and warszawska streets. About 160 metres down the dirt road between 16, Czysta Street and 48, Warszawska Street.
GPS coordinates
50.91525, 22.65878
Perimeter length
344 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over
General site condition
Demolished Jewish Cemetery, overgrown with woods, partially in agricultural use. No traces of the cemetery have been preserved. The inhabitants of the house at 26, Czysta Street stated that the Jewish cemetery was located on the hill at the back of their house.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The town of Wysokie was most likely founded in 1409 under Magdeburg Law and was privately owned. In 1536, there is a recorded mention of a single Jewish resident. Further records from the 17th and 18th centuries indicate that Jews in Wysokie worked as landlords. In 1731 Wysokie had its own kehilla (organized Jewish community). In 1819 of the town’s 242 residents, 71 were Jewish; in around 1900 there were 356 Jewish residents, comprising 31% of the total population; and in 1921 there were 285 Jewish residents (27%). During World War II, the Germans destroyed the kehilla facilities and, in 1942, local Jews were transported to the Izbica Ghetto and from there to the Bełżec extermination camp.

The cemetery was most likely founded in the first half of the 18th century and located approximately 500 metres northwest of the town square, on a hill. In 1885 the cemetery was expanded. During the interwar period, the land was rectangular-shaped, measuring 0.2 hectares, and enclosed and gated with a wooden fence. During World War II, the cemetery was partially destroyed. After the war, the remaining tombstones were removed, and the area was used as a pasture. Presently it is an empty, grassy area with several trees, and the borders are imperceptible. The cemetery is crossed by two dirt roads. No traces of the cemetery remain and no matzevot were recovered from Wysokie.