Widawa Jewish Cemetery
Widawa was founded in 1388 as a city, was later demoted in 1870, and is now a small town. First mentions of Jewish settlement date back to the 18th century. In 1764, there were 166 Jewish residents, in 1827 as many as 632, at the time comprising 48% of the total population. An autonomous kehilla was established in 1838. In 1897 there were 530 Jewish residents (38% of the total population). During World War II, the Germans killed the kehilla’s last Rabbi, Mordechaj Maroko, burning him along with his Torah. In 1940, a ghetto was established with around 100 families. In December 1941, 728 residents were transported to Bełchatów and in the summer of 1942, the remaining Jews were transported to the death camp in Chełmno.
The cemetery is located on Kiełczygłowska Street, south of the town, approximately 1 km from the town center. The entrance is located on private land (plot at 17 Kiełczygłowska Street), where there is now a Fil-Kub meat packing plant.
The exact date of the cemetery’s establishment is not known, but most likely it was founded in the 18th century. The last recorded burial took place in 1940. During the war, the cemetery was destroyed by the Germans, and today there is only one tombstone remaining. The cemetery has an acreage of 1.2 hectares.
In 2021, thanks to the involvement of Jacek Frąckiewicz and funding from the County Hall of Widawa, over a hundred tombstones were recovered and renovated, dated from 1924 to 1938, from the pavement beside the mill at the river Naciecz in Wola Kleszczowa. The matzevot were placed back in the cemetery. They were used as a basis for a hundred plaques for the Jews buried in the cemetery in Widawa.