Voznesensk New Jewish Cemetery
The history of the New Jewish cemetery of Voznesens’k is unclear. Presumably, it already existed in early 20th century. The IAJGS database refers to a gravestone that dates to 1918, but the ESJF expedition was unable to locate it. The old part of the cemetery contains some pre-war tombstones, including one from 1937. However, it is still possible that pre-war gravestones were brought from the Voznesens’k Old cemetery, which was destroyed during WWII. Today, the cemetery is cared for by the local community. About six months ago, vandals moved ten tombstones from their original places, but they have been restored today.
Jews supposedly began to settle in Voznesens’k after the Russian-Turkish wars, in late 18th until the early 19th century. In 1863, 778 Jews were living in Voznesens’k. In 1863, a synagogue was operating. The Jewish population had reached 5,932 (38% of the total population) in 1897. In 1909, two government schools for boys and girls, as well as a Talmud Tora were functioning. Seven synagogues were operating in the city in 1910. In 1925, seven Jewish families from Voznesens’k founded the Jewish farming society in the region of Kherson. The Jewish population numbered 6,177 in 1920, but decreased to 2,843 in 1939. Nazi troops occupied Voznesens’k on August 6, 1941. During the period of occupation, 3,174 people from the region were executed, most of whom were Jewish. There was a Jewish population in Voznesens’k after WWII. Today, the Jewish community of the town numbers 48 people.