Vovchansk Jewish Cemetery
The cemetery is marked on a map from the 1870s as a Jewish cemetery, and is not found on the Red Army map of 1941. It is likely that it operated in the second half of the 19th century, and was demolished in the pre-war era.
The city of Vovchans’k (Ukr. Вовчанськ, Rus. Волчанск) had a small Jewish community: only 13 Jews lived there in 1868. The community had grown to 40 people by 1897. A synagogue and a Jewish school operated in the early 20th century. The Jews were attacked in a pogrom in 1919.
There were 210 Jewish residents in Vovchans’k in 1939, out of the total population of 20,435. All the Jews who remained in Vovchans’k when it was captured by the Germans in November 1941 were murdered. According to the 2001 census, there were 14 Jews in Vovchans’k and the neighbouring area.