Voronovytsya Old Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
The cemetery is located to the left of the house on 91 Oliynyk Street.
GPS coordinates
49.10634, 28.69188
Perimeter length
143 мetres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is surrounded by a 1.5 metre tall concrete fence, installed by ESJF in 2019.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is becoming overgrown with bushes. Cleaning is required. The military unit A0535 is located two kilometres from the cemetery. Flight is not permitted within 5 kilometres of the base.
Number of existing gravestones
2. One of the graves is unmarked.
Date of oldest tombstone
The only legible tombstone is from 1939.
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

According to IAJGS, the Jewish cemetery was established in the 18th century. IAJGS indicates that the cemetery area is smaller than it was in 1939 due to housing development and agriculture.

The town of Voronovytsya was first mentioned in 1391 when it had 110 settlers.
From 1569 the region belonged to the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. Jews started to settle in Voronovytsya in the early 18th century. Due to attacks by the Haidamaks in the second half of the century the Jewish population of Voronovytsya declined.
In 1793, after the Second partition of Poland, it came under the control of the Russian Empire, and became a part of the Podolia Governorate (Podolskaya Gubernia). In 1847, the Jewish community of Voronovytsya numbered 1036. In 1897, 1411 Jews comprised almost a half of the town’s 3013 population. At that period Voronovytsya had a synagogue and 2 prayer houses. Most of Voronovytsya’s Jews were merchants or artisans.
The Jewish population of Voronovytsya suffered greatly during World War I and the civil war in Russia. In 1919, a pogrom claimed a number of victims.
After 1922, Voronovytsya became a part of the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic within the USSR. In the 1920s there was a three-year Yiddish school in Voronovytsya. In 1926 the Jewish population was 1418. After the Soviet authorities imposed a ban on private trade, many of Voronovytsya’s Jews were compelled to seek new occupations. A number of Jews found employment in the sugar and textile factories in or near the town or in agriculture.In the 1930s, when the town suffered from famine (Holodomor), nearly 300 Jews died. Many Jews, especially the younger ones, left Voronovytsya for larger towns, in search of sustenance and also of educational and vocational opportunities.
In 1939 Voronovytsya’s 860 Jews comprised 23% of the total population.
Between July 21, 1941 and March 13, 1943 Voronovytsya was occupied by the Germans. A labor camp was established here. By mid 1942 all local Jews in the camp perished in Aktions and of inhumane living conditions; Jews from various Transnistrian ghettos were brought there, most of whom perished as well.
In 1991, after the collapse of the Soviet Union, Voronovytsya became a part of the independent Ukraine. In 2014 only a few Jews still lived in Voronovytsya.
The remains of the old Jewish cemetery of Voronovytsya, established in the 18th century, today contain only a few matzevot.