Verenchanka Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. According to epigraphic data, the cemetery was operating in the early 20th century. It can be supposed that it was demolished after WWII and the municipal cemetery was established on the site.
The Jewish community existed in Verenchanka from the mid-16th century. In the early 20th century, around 100 Jews were residents of Verenchanka. The immigrants from Moldova and Galicia were the core of the community. The Jews were mainly engaged in agriculture, trade and crafts. In 1909, the Bnei Zion movement was established. In the 1930s, the Jews of the Verenchanka took an active part in the Jewish life of Bukovina. During the German-Romanian occupation, the Jews of Verenchanka were deported to the Chernivtsi ghetto and the camps of Transnistria, where they shared the fate of the other Jews.