Velyki Mosty Jewish Cemetery
Information on the cemetery’s establishment is unknown, but it was marked on maps of the 1770s, 1880 and 1939. It was demolished after WWII and later built over.
Jews are first mentioned in the late 15th century. In 1564, about 50 Jews lived in Velyki Mosty. In the early 17th century, a Jewish cemetery was organised. The Jewish population perished during the Khmelnytsky massacres (1648-49) and Tartar invasion (1662). In 1765, around 300 Jews resided in Velyki Mosty. By the late 17th century, A first wooden synagogue was built. By the late 19th century, five synagogues, Hevra Kadisha and different charity organizations were functioning. In 1890, the Jewish population stood at 1,426 (32.3% of the total population), and its number gradually increased to 1,611 (36.2% of the total population) in 1900. In 1915, the retreating Russian army burnt two synagogues. By 1921, after WWI, the Jewish population dropped to 1,142 (30.1% of the total population). The Zionist movement became active in the interwar period. In the 1920s, the Zionist association Ha-Or and Etz-Haim yeshiva were established. A library was opened. The Zionist were active in the town until the Soviet annexation in 1939. On June 27, 1941, the Wehrmacht troops occupied Velyki Mosty. In the first month after occupation, the Jewish community suffered a pogrom staged by Ukrainians, and 100 Jews were murdered during a mass execution by the Wehrmacht. On July 6, 1941, 19 Jews were burned alive in a synagogue. During the period of occupation, a ghetto for 4,000 prisoners was in the town. It was liquidated on May 10, 1943. Some of the Jews were expelled to Janowska concentration camp later.