Velyki Mezhyrichi Jewish Cemetery
Next to 51 Tserkovna Street. From the E40, drive North towards Velyki Mezhyrichi. Pass the Stavy River and drive another 230 meters. The entrance to the cemetery is on a hill to the right of the road.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is surrounded by a 1 metre tall metal fence, with a 1.5 metre tall wall running along the side facing the road.
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
Most of the cemetery has been demolished, and its site is somewhat overgrown. Only a few preserved tombstones and fragments remain. The north-eastern section of the cemetery is now occupied by private houses.
Number of existing gravestones
6. Only 3 legible tombstones remain, located next to the memorial.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
Natives of the village who now live in other countries have installed a memorial to their ancestors buried in the cemetery. There is a memorial dedicated to ancestors buried on the cemetery installed by the natives of the village currently living in other countries.
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown, but according to the dates on the preserved tombstones it can be assumed that the cemetery already existed in the early 20th century. First it appears on Russian topographic map in 1907 and later on Polish map of 1939.