Velyki Heyivtsi Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Velyki Heyivtsi
Site address
Taking the exit from the village in the direction of Dovhe Pole, take a right turn on the dirt road 270 metres after the turn-off from Holovna Street. The cemetery is located on the shore of the lake, 170 metres to the right of the road.
GPS coordinates
48.51403, 22.33439
Perimeter length
Total perimeter is 395 meters. Perimeter of the fenced part is 127 meters.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is surrounded by an old concrete fence with a broken metal gate.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
Large demolished part of the cemetery is not fenced. The preserved part is severely overgrown.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
The only legible tombstone dates to 1894
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

Presumably, the Jewish Cemetery in Velyki Heyivtsi was established in the 19th century. The cemetery was barely damaged during WWII or in the post-war Soviet period. There is one legible tombstone on the site.

Jews are believed to have arrived in the area of Velyki Heyivtsi in the late 18th century. In 1830, there were 52 Jews living in the town. By 1880, the Jewish population had increased to 183 (17% of the total population). By 1921, during the Czechoslovakian period, there were 120 Jews living in the town. Hungarian forces arrived in Velyki Heyivtsi in March 1939, with the consequence that the Jews were persecuted and forced out of their occupations. There were 69 Jews living in Velyki Heyivtsi in 1941. Some Jews were drafted into forced labour battalions. Others were sent to the Eastern front, where most perished. Some Jews without Hungarian citizenship were expelled to Kamenets-Podolski in Nazi-occupied Ukrainian territory and murdered. The remaining Jews of Velyki Heyivtsi were deported to Auschwitz in late May 1944. No Jews live in the town today.

3D model