Velyka Kisnytsya Jewish Cemetery
According to the Commission on the Preservation of Jewish Heritage, the cemetery was founded in the 18th century.
The village of Velyka Kisnytsya exists on maps dated back to 1650. Four Jews were present there in 1765, when the region belonged to the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.
In 1793, after the Second partition of Poland, it came under the control of the Russian Empire, and became a part of the Podolia Governorate (Podolskaya Gubernia).
In 1897, the Jewish population of Velyka Kisnytsya numbered 781, which was less than 15% of the total population of 5861, in 1897. In that period there were 2 Jewish prayer houses.
After 1922, Velyka Kisnytsya became a part of the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic within the USSR and in 1939, the Jewish population dropped to 164.
In 1941, a few Jews succeeded in fleeing to the East. Those who remained after the German occupation in July 1941 were murdered along with the other Jews of the region in the fall.
In 1991, after the collapse of the Soviet Union, Velyka Kisnytsya became a part of the independent Ukraine.
The Jewish cemetery of Velyka Kisnytsya today contains around 100 tombstones, which date back to between the second half of the 19th until the first half of the 20th century.