Ulashkivtsi New Jewish Сemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
The cemetery is located in the woods opposite the house at 14, Lesi Ukrainky Street.
GPS coordinates
48.89828, 25.83153
Perimeter length
190 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is severely overgrown. It requires clearing and fencing. Its south-western is in use as an orchard.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
1848 (oldest found by ESJF expedition)
Date of newest tombstone
1935 (latest found by ESJF expedition)
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. According to epigraphic data, it already existed in the mid-19th century.

The Jewish community existed in Ulashkivtsi since the 19th century. In 1900, 489 Jews (21,4% of the total population) resided in the town. In the early 20th century, a school was created with the support of Baron Hirsch, and a Hebrew supplementary school of the Safa Berurah movement were opened. The Zionist movement had clout in the Hassidic town, and a memorial for B. Z. Herzl, which was erected in the synagogue in 1906, confirms it. In 1911, a Mizrachi Zionist group functioned. The Jewish population declined to 138 people (0,6% of the total population) in 1921. In the 1930s, a Tarbut Hebrew school operated. By the same time, the anti-semitic mood was spread among the local population. In June 1941, a pogrom staged by the local Ukrainians claimed the lives of 68 Jews, their property was pillaged. The Jews who survived the pogrom fled to Chortkiv and other adjoining localities.