Ulanow Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Subcarpathian Voivodeship
Site address
Leaving Ulanów urban area via Tadeusza Buli Street, the cemetery will be on the right hand side of the road in the forest, adjacent to No. 8.
GPS coordinates
50.49243, 22.27658
Perimeter length
450 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
There is a concrete fence, 2.5m high.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is located on the eastern outskirts of the Ulanow urban area in a pine forest. The territory is fenced and protected. Part of the cemetery is overgrown with bushes.
Number of existing gravestones
There are around 200 tombstones.
Date of oldest tombstone
1681 (by cmentarze-zydowskie.pl), 1898 (ESJF data)
Date of newest tombstone
1937 (by kehilalinks.jewishgen.org), 1929 (ESJF data)
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

Ulanów was founded in 1616 under Magdeburg law as a private town. Jews lived in the town from foundation. They were granted an area approximately 150 meters to the east of the market square, where they could build the community buildings. The earliest information about the synagogue in Ulanów dates back to 1627. In 1673, about 100 Jews lived in Ulanów. In 1939, among 3,900 inhabitants, there were 2,200 Jews (56%). From the beginning of the 19th century, the local Hasidic dynasty resided in the town. The cemetery was likely established shortly after the town was founded. The earliest information about it and the first preserved tombstone date back to 1681. The cemetery was established approximately 1 km to the north-east of the market square, among the fields. The mid-19th century sources show the final area of 1.3 hectares, which is still accurate, however at that time the burials took place on less than half of the area. The cemetery was shaped like an elongated quadrilateral. On the north-western border, next to the gate, there was one building, and two others in the cemetery. During World War II, executions and burials in unmarked mass graves took place there. At that time, as well as after the war, most of the tombstones were taken away, and the buildings were pulled down. In the 1960s, the area was afforested with conifers. In the 1980s, the cemetery was fenced and a brick gate was erected, and tombstones were placed there. There are over 200 traditional steles in the cemetery, including fragments of tombstones made of limestone, sandstone, and several 20th-century ones made of concrete. The 19th-century matzevot are interestingly decorated.