Ulaniv Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
The cemetery is located adjacent to Shevchenko Street, between Myru Street and the banks of the River Snyvoda.
GPS coordinates
49.69239, 28.12311
Perimeter length
429 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is overgrown with seasonal vegetation and refuse is scattered around the site. Goats graze on the cemetery and refuse is littered about the site. It seems as though local residents use the site for recreation.
Number of existing gravestones
52 (45 older tombstones and 7 newer tombstones).
Date of oldest tombstone
The beginning of the 20th century (the earliest tombstone found by ESJF).
Date of newest tombstone
1977 (the latest tombstone found by ESJF).
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
There is a Tziyun on the site.
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. Given the oldest preserved tombstone dates to the beginning of the 20th century, it can be inferred it was already in use by that point.

There is not much information on the Jewish community of Ulaniv. The first Jewish settlement was established in the early 18th century. In 1784, the Jewish population numbered 201 Jews.
According to the census of 1897 there were 2,000 Jews out of the total population of 2,047.
In the late 1920s there was a Jewish council and a Jewish elementary school, with about 290 children in 1931.
By 1939 there were 1,188 Jews living in Ulaniv.
Ulaniv was occupied on July 15th 1941. On July 10th 1942, 3,235 Jews from Ulaniv and the surrounding area were executed.
There is no information on the modern Jewish community of Ulaniv.
Arnold Szyfman (Arnold Zygmunt Stanisław Schiffmann), theatre director and stage director, was born in 1882 in Ulaniv.

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. The cemetery is marked on old maps of the region from the 1900s. Therefore it can be said that it was established no later than the early 20th century. The earliest preserved gravestones date to the early 20th century, the most recent gravestone dates to 1977. There are 45 older gravestones, 7 newer and an Ohel. The cemetery is abandoned, its site is used for cattle grazing.

3D model