Ujfeherto New Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
182, Kossuth Lajos Street.
GPS coordinates
47.80115, 21.66265
Perimeter length
338 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
There is a concrete fence, about 2.5m high.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is well maintained. The tombstones are numbered.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
There are 2 ohels and 3-triple graves.
Drone surveys

Historical overview

There were two Jewish cemeteries in Újfehértó. This cemetery was established as early as 1870, since it appears on the cadastral map of that year. The latest tombstone found in the cemetery dates to 1955. The cemetery has been fenced and is maintained by Heritage Foundation for Preservation of Jewish Cemeteries. There are two ohalim in the cemetery. Rabbi Silbermann Naftali Hercka and his sons are buried in the first ohel, and Meir Frenkel (1850-1909) his grandson Kálonimusz Kálmán Frenkel (1875-1910), as well as Natanel Fried HaKohen (?-1927)—who was the Dayan of Újfehértó—are buried in the second ohel.

According to Hebrew Wikipedia, Újfehértó had a small Jewish community that grew throughout the 18th century. In 1840, the Jewish population decreased after Jews were granted permission to settle in the major cities. However, towards the end of the 19th century, the Jewish population in Újfehértó increased. By World War I, the Jewish community increased again significantly following an influx of refugees from Galicia who settled in the city. In 1941, Jews accounted for 1,359 people of the city’s population (15,154).

Following the German occupation of Hungary in 1944, the Jews of the city were transferred to the Nirjhaza Ghetto (where all the Jews of the district were concentrated), from where they were deported to Auschwitz in May 1944. A few Holocaust survivors returned to Újfehértó after the war, though they all left by 1948, after which no Jews remained in the city.