Uhniv Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
15, Ravska Street.
GPS coordinates
50.36333, 23.74861
Perimeter length
178 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished and overbuilt Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The former cemetery site is used by the local agrarian-mechanical school.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

Information on the cemetery’s establishment is not available, but it was marked on maps from the 18th century, until 1939. It can be supposed that the cemetery was demolished after WWII and later built over.

The earliest records about Jews in Uhniv date from 1550. In 1635, 30 Jewish houses existed. In 1720, nearly 17 Jews lived in Uhniv. During the 17th and 18th century, the main spheres local Jews were engaged in was the leasing of land and petty trade. By the late 18th century, the local community became independent from the kehila of Zhovkva. In the mid-19th century, the stream of Belz Hasidism became popular among local Jews. In 1880, the Jewish population reached 1,842 (43% of the total population). In 1900, the Jewish population grew to 2,140 (48% of the total population). The Zionist movement became active in the beginning of the 20th century, and Zionist activity increased in the interwar period. Avigdor Spitzer was one of the Zionist leaders of Uhniv. He maintained a school of Hebrew language in his house. In 1931, the Jewish population numbered 2,020 individuals. The Nazis occupied Uhniv on June 22, 1941. In late July, 1942, arouтв 1,000 Jews were deported to the extermination camp Belzec. In September, 1942 the remaining Jewish population were confined to the ghetto of Rava-Rus’ka.

3D model