Tyczyn Old Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Subcarpathian Voivodeship
Site address
1, Parkowa Street. The entrance to the cemetery is on Parkowa Street. It is adjacent to Pułanek Street on the west.
GPS coordinates
49.96304, 22.0273
Perimeter length
435 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
There is a metal fence nearly 2m high.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is well kept.
Number of existing gravestones
4 and some fragments. Almost all of the gravestones are broken or covered with grass and are illegible. There is also a small lapidarium near the ohel.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
There is an ohel dedicated to the Tzadik Shlomo Arie, son of Zev Wolf Weichselbaum, who died on 10th tamuz 5687 (July 10, 1927).
Drone surveys

Historical overview

Jews probably began to settle in Niepołomice in the 18th century. In 1921, 484 Jews lived in the town (11.9% of the total population), most of whom were killed in 1942 by the Germans. The cemetery is located about 900 km southeast of the city centre, on Bohaterów Getta Street. The cemetery’s establishment date is unknown, though it was likely established in the 19th century. During World War I, War Cemetery No. 328 was established within the cemetery. Josef Austerweil, a Jewish soldier in the Austro-Hungarian Army in the 32nd Landsturm Infantry Regiment, was buried there. In 1936, local rabbi Josef Teitelbaum was buried at the cemetery as well. Prior to 1939, the cemetery covered a plot of land measuring 30 acres which was surrounded by a stone wall and had a funeral house at the entrance.

During World War II, the Germans carried out executions in the cemetery. The devastation of the facility began around this time. In 1946, about half of the tombstones were destroyed, and the funeral house was demolished, though the wall on the south side has survived. As Jewish Holocaust survivors from Niepołomice emigrated from the city, the Jewish community attempted to form an agreement with city authorities regarding the supervision and maintenance of the cemetery. In the following years, at least half of the plot was built over with single-family houses. On November 4, 1964, the Minister of Municipal Economy signed an order to close the cemetery. The accompanying documentation stated that the cemetery covered plot of land no. 2254/6 with an area of 0.16 hectares. In the cemetery, there are currently about 140 tombstones in the form of stelae, tomb walls, and pedestals. Epitaphs—or parts of them—are preserved on about 30 tombstones that date between 1916-1942 (the list is available at http://cmentarza-zydowskie.pl/niepolomice.htm). After 2014, an ohel was erected over the matzevah of Rabbi Josef Teitelbaum. In a more recent area of the cemetery, the fencing consists of a pre-war concrete wall, a metal mesh, and a wooden fence on a concrete plinth. The cemetery is clean, and its borders are at least partially visible. The owner of the cemetery is the Town of Niepołomice. The cemetery is listed in the Provincial Register of Monuments and it is not listed in the Register of Immovable Monuments of the Małopolskie Voivodeship

Tyczyn Old Jewish Cemetery
Tyczyn Old Jewish Cemetery
Tyczyn Old Jewish Cemetery
Tyczyn Old Jewish Cemetery
Tyczyn Old Jewish Cemetery
Tyczyn Old Jewish Cemetery
Tyczyn Old Jewish Cemetery
Tyczyn Old Jewish Cemetery
Tyczyn Old Jewish Cemetery
Tyczyn Old Jewish Cemetery
Tyczyn Old Jewish Cemetery
Tyczyn Old Jewish Cemetery