Tunyogmatolcs Jewish Cemetery in Tunyog
The Jewish section is located inside the municipal cemetery on Bocskai István Street.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
General site condition
The grass is mown regularly. Some gravestones are covered with bindweed.
Number of existing gravestones
47 gravestones: 38 intact and 9 broken.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Preserved construction on site
There were two Jewish cemeteries in Tunyogmatolcs – a village formed in 1961 by the merger of the former villages of Tunyog and Matolcs. This cemetery belonged to the Jewish community of Tunyog. It was established as early as 1863, since the oldest tombstone found in the cemetery dates to that year. The cemetery remained in operation until at least 1944 as the latest tombstone was erected in that year. The cemetery has been fenced.
According to census data, 30 Jews lived in Tunyog in 1840. The Jewish population in the village over the subsequent decades was as follows: 79 in 1880, 66 in 1910, 76 in 1920, 87 in 1930, and 70 in 1941. According to the Yad Vashem database, about 160 Jews from Tunyog were murdered in the Holocaust.