Tunyogmatolcs Jewish Cemetery In Matolcs
24, Petőfi Sándor Street.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
There is a wire fence, around 2m high.
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
Th side is partially overgrown.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
There were two Jewish cemeteries in Tunyogmatolcs – a village formed in 1961 by the merger of the former villages of Tunyog and Matolcs. This cemetery belonged to the Jewish community of Matolcs. It was established as early as 1849, since the oldest tombstone found in the cemetery dates to that year. The latest tombstone was erected in 1938. The cemetery has been fenced.
According to census data, 22 Jews lived in Matolcs in 1840. The Jewish population in the village over the subsequent decades was as follows: 26 in 1880, 21 in 1910, 21 in 1920, 14 in 1930, and 40 in 1941. According to the Yad Vashem database, about 62 Jews from Matolcs were murdered in the Holocaust.