Tuczno Jewish Cemetery
Preserved historical elements: a dozen or so tables, matzevot, tomb frames and bases, a fragment of a wall and old trees (oaks, maples, ash). Contemporary information or commemorative elements: a plaque informing about the existence of a cemetery and a lapidarium made of preserved matzevot. Monument register number with the date of the first entry: A-695 May 8, 1990 (WKZ Piła); A-913 of May 8, 1990 (WKZ Szczecin).
The Jewish cemetery in Tuczno was probably established in the 17th century, which dates back to the beginnings of Jewish settlement in the town. After the first partition of Poland and the incorporation of Tuczno into Prussia, many Jews left the city. Nevertheless, in the first years of the nineteenth century, the Jewish community in Tuczno numbered about two hundred members, which constituted almost a third of the town’s population. In the second half of this century, the Jewish population decreased. In 1900, only 54 Jews lived in Tuczno, and their share of the total population fell to 2.6%. The cemetery was located on a hill in the south-eastern part of the city. It was used until the interwar period and fell victim to devastation during the Nazi period. It was forgotten after World War II, and was entered into the register of monuments only in 1990. Quite a few stone matzevot have survived, the oldest of which comes from 1788 with inscriptions in Hebrew, and the youngest from 1896 (with inscriptions in German). The cemetery is still surrounded by a partially preserved stone wall, and the old trees growing on the cemetery have survived.
(West Pomeranian Encyclopedia; http://encyklopedia.szczecin.pl)
The Jewish cemetery in Tuczno is located in the south-western part of the city, on a hill at Młyńska Street, on surveying plots 173/65 and 173/66. The cemetery was probably established in the second half of the 18th century.
On November 14, 1961, the Presidium of the City National Council adopted a resolution to close the cemetery. The final decision on this matter was issued by the Minister of Municipal Economy on October 10, 1961.
On December 2, 1970, the Provincial Conservator of Monuments in Koszalin, in a letter to the Provincial National Council, responding to the plans to liquidate cemeteries in the Wałcz and Miastko counties, in the case of Tuczno, recommended: “The Jewish cemetery on Młyńska Street should be tidied up and left in its entirety, because the tombstones on it come from the 18th and 19th centuries, are relatively well preserved and testify to e social relations and history of the city”.
The facility has undergone far-reaching devastation. To this day, around a dozen granite and sandstone steles and fragments of a stone and brick wall have survived within it.
The building is entered into the provincial register of immovable monuments (No. A-913 of May 8, 1990). The owner of the cemetery is the Town and Commune of Tuczno.
In 2021, a team consisting of: Krzysztof Bielawski, Piotr Wojtanek, Jan Siwczyński, Marta Szkutnik and Ryszard Ogrodnik made a list of the preserved tombstones.
(K. Bielawski, cmentarze-zydowskie.pl)
There is no information on the exact date of the creation of the necropolis, presumably the cemetery was established in the 17th century. The preserved tombstones come from the 18th and 19th centuries. The oldest one comes from 1788. Matzevot dating back to the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries are made of fieldstones, with inscriptions in Hebrew. The younger stelae from the 19th century are a manifestation of assimilation – as evidenced by epitaphs in German. The youngest identified tombstone is dated 1896. The remains of the wall have survived.