Trzebiatów Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery in Trzebiatów was established at the intersection of Kaiserstraße (now II Pułku Ułanów Street) and Thaddenstraße (now Sportowa Street). Today, on the left-hand side of the former Thaddenstraße, there is a football field and an unnamed cul-de-sac. The necropolis is located exactly between this street and the back of the courtyards. It is a rectangular, grassy area with a path that shortens the road from II Pułku Ułanów Street to Sportowa Street. The area of the cemetery is 0.13 ha.
The necropolis was devastated during the Second World War and in the post-war period. Around 1970, the cemetery area was leveled and transformed into a playground for children. The three-meter-high wall and the impressive gate that existed before 1960 have not survived. The collection of the Jewish Historical Institute in Warsaw includes photographs from 1963 showing a cemetery surrounded by a low wall, inside which there are several well-preserved tombstones. There are also broken matzevot lying in one place. The area at that time was overgrown and disorderly.
In 2001, the director of the Trzebiatów Cultural Centre, Renata Teresa Korek, found individual fragments of matzevot made of sandstone in Rega. Leszek Hońdo from the International Institute of Jewish Culture at the Jagiellonian University read the name of Jechiel on the found fragment of the tombstone, which was probably the name of the deceased’s father. The matzevah had inscriptions in Hebrew and German, the latter carved in Gothic script. This indicates linguistic and cultural assimilation. The book cites a fragment of an article about the Jewish cemetery in Trzebiatów by Dr. Wincenty Raczkowski from the town of Tymień (Timmenhagen). There is also a photo showing the contemporary look of the place.
The cemetery in Trzebiatów was established at Thaddenstrasse (now Sportowa Street). It occupied an area of about 0.1 ha. It was originally surrounded by a high wall with a magnificent entrance gate. It was probably established in the first half of the 19th century, when the emancipation edict of 1812 made the Jewish population equal in civil rights to other inhabitants of the Prussian state. In the 18th century, only a few, and at most a dozen or so (in 1752-17) Jews were present in Trzebiatów in different years, but in the next century their number grew rapidly – in 1840 it was 143 and in 1871 as many as 267 people. In the interwar period, the necropolis was renovated, which entailed considerable expenses, difficult to bear for the diminishing Jewish community, with only around 60 members in the mid-1920s. Ten years later, just over 20 Jews lived in Trzebiatów. According to the sources, the cemetery was supposed to survive intact until the post-war times, which seems unlikely, since the Trzebiatów synagogue was devastated during Kristallnacht and it avoided being set on fire only because of the potential of fire in the neighbouring buildings. After the Second World War, the devastation continued systematically. Even in the 1960s, the area of the necropolis was fenced, and some matzevot were still on the site. In 1969, the fence was pulled down, and in the 1970s the area was turned into a square and the last traces of the Jewish cemetery were finally removed. Currently, only the preserved lime trees and fragments of matzevot kept in the museum of the Trzebiatów Cultural Centre remind of it.
(West Pomeranian Encyclopedia; http://encyklopedia.szczecin.pl)