Troyitske Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
From the hospital on Vynohradna Street, turn onto the dirt road towards the north and proceed for 400 metres. The cemetery is on the right side of the road, in the field on the top of the hill, close to the power lines.
GPS coordinates
47.64425, 30.27957
Perimeter length
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over
General site condition
The site is now a wasteland and overgrown with grass. There are ​numbers of scattered stone fragments without inscriptions. A local man remembers that the gravestones were already broken in the 1950s.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
There is a remnant of brick basement in the bushes which may have formerly been a beit-tahara or a caretaker's house.
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The cemetery is marked on a Russian map of 1917. Presumably, it was ruined during WWII or shortly afterwards. A local man remembers that the gravestones were broken already in the 1950s.

There is not much information available about Troyits’ke. According to the census, the Jewish population numbered 587 (19% of the total population) in 1897. Under Soviet rule in the 1920s, a Jewish library and club were functioning. In 1939, the Jewish population was reduced to 220. Nazi troops occupied Troyits’ke on August 8, 1941. On September 27, 1941, 74 Jews were executed.