Torchyn Jewish Cemetery
The cemetery is located on the southern outskirts of town. Starting behind 67, Sadovska Street, turn left and proceed for 200 metres, at which point the cemetery will be located to the right of the road.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery has a fence installed in September 2020 by ESJF.
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is clear and well-maintained. The fence is in excellent condition.
Number of existing gravestones
12 tombstones (clearance could uncover more). There are a number of broken tombstones placed near the memorial to victims of the Holocaust.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
According to Pinkasei Kehilot Polin, there was a grave for the victims of Khmel’nytsky’s 1648-1649 uprising on the cemetery site. It is unknown whether this refers to this cemetery or another, which dates from at least the 17th century. This cemetery existed from at least the late 18th century, as can be inferred from the date on the oldest tombstone. The cemetery was demolished during or after WWII. In 1960, a memorial to the 2,000 Jews shot in August 1942 was constructed, along with an obelisk and a fenced mass grave. The southern section of the cemetery still contains tombstones and is severely overgrown.