Tiszabecs Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
The Jewish section is located within the cemetery at the end of the Rákóczi Street.
GPS coordinates
48.1027, 22.82067
Perimeter length
117 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Jewish section
General site condition
The site is in a good condition.
Number of existing gravestones
15 gravestones: 12 intact and 3 fragments or pedestal bases.
Date of oldest tombstone
1830s* (the tombstone has sunk into the ground, therefore the exact date cannot be seen)
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The Jewish cemetery of Tiszabecs was established as early as the 1830s, since the oldest tombstone found in the cemetery dates to that period. The cemetery remained in operation until at least 1941, the year in which the latest tombstone was erected. It is now part of the local municipal cemetery.

Jews were permitted to settle in Tiszabecs in the first half of the 19th century. In 1880, the Jewish population peaked at 107, following which the population decreased, and by 1941 the community accounted for 72 people. In 1869, the community affiliated with the Orthodox stream, following the differences between the Orthodox and the Maskilim at the Jewish Congress in 1869 which resulted in the Schism in Hungarian Jewry. At the end of May in 1944, following the German occupation of Hungary, the local Jews were deported to Auschwitz. After the war, two men and five women returned to the village, though they later left, and the Jewish community was never re-established.