Timar Jewish Cemetery
The cemetery is located in agricultural feilds to the south west of the settlement.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The site is densely overgrown. The inscriptions on the remaining tombstones are illegible.
Number of existing gravestones
2. No dates are visible.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Preserved construction on site
The Jewish cemetery of Timár was established as early as 1870, since it appears on the cadastral map of that year. No legible tombstones have been discovered which could supply any further information about cemetery’s period of operation.
According to census data, 22 Jews lived in Timár in 1840. The Jewish population peaked at 31 in 1880, after which the population decreased over the following decades: 22 Jews lived in the village in 1910, 19 in 1920, 16 in 1930, and only 5 by 1941. According to the Yad Vashem database, 7 Jews from Timár were killed in the Holocaust.