Ternopil New Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
The cemetery site is located on the crossroads of Mykulynets’ka and Pavlova street, opposite to the Christian cemetery.
GPS coordinates
49.53771, 25.60369
Perimeter length
1,220 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is partly fenced. Its southern and eastern sides are surrounded by a metal fence on a concrete foundation of 1.2 metres height.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is slightly overgrown. It requires clearing. The fence is in good condition. The northern and western side require fencing. The western part of the site is overbuilt. There are industrial buildings, garages and flats.
Number of existing gravestones
About 240
Date of oldest tombstone
1906 (oldest found by ESJF expedition)
Date of newest tombstone
1938 (latest found by ESJF expedition)
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The cemetery emerged in 1840s. It arrives on the cadastral map of 1869 and Austro-Hungarian second military survey map of 1860s. According to locals, the cemetery was partly demolished during WWII. Gravestones from the site were used for road construction.

The Jews were among the first settlers of Ternopil’ when it was founded in 1540. A fortified synagogue was constructed in 1640. During the Khmelnytskyi massacres, many Jews escaped, the rest were murdered. In 1765, 1,246 Jews lived in Ternopil’. In the early 19th century, Ternopil’ became the centre of Haskala in Galicia. One of the leading figures of Haskala in Galicia, Yosef Perl (1773- 1839) was born in the town. Illustrious Maskilim Nachman Krochmal (1785 — 1840), Mendel Satanover (1749 — 1826), S. L. Goldberg (1807–46) lived in Ternopil’. Misnagdim and different Hassidic groups were presented. In 1788, the first Jewish school was founded, and the second was founded in 1813. The Jewish population stood at 13,842 (50,5% of the total population) in 1890. During the WWI, refugees flooded the town. The Jewish population slightly dropped to 13,493 in 1900 and stood at 13,768 in 1921. In the interwar period, different Zionist organizations, Bund, and Aguddat Israel functioned in Ternopil’. Two Hebrew schools (Tarbut and Mizrahi), Talmud-Torah and two private gymnasiums operated. In 1931, the Jewish population was 13,999 (39,2% of the total population). On July 2, 1941, the Wehrmacht troops occupied Ternopil’. A pogrom started in two days after occupation claimed the lives of thousands of Jews. On September 5, 1941, a ghetto was created. In 1942, around 6,000 Jews were sent to the Belzec death camp. On June 20, 1943, the ghetto was liquidated, and, on August 6, 1943, the labour camp was closed in Ternopil’. In 1943, around 3,000 Jews were murdered. A few local Jews survived.

3D model