Tarnobrzeg New Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Subcarpathian Voivodeship
Site address
The cemetery is adjacent to 96, Henryka Sienkiewicza Street and is located between Marii Dąbrowskiej and Garażowa streets.
GPS coordinates
50.57207, 21.68719
Perimeter length
320 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
There is an iron fence, 1.5 meters
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is located in an urban area. The territory covers a small wooded zone, with trees and bushes growing inside the cemetery wall. The ground is covered with foliage.
Number of existing gravestones
20. There are 18 gravestones and 2 fragments (foundations). A list of gravestones and names can be found at tinyurl.com
Date of oldest tombstone
1844 (cmentarze-zydowskie.pl), 1913 (ESJF data)
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
There is an Ohel dedicated to Eliezer Horowic from Dzików, founder of the Dzików hassidic dynasty, which was built in 1966.
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The New Cemetery in Tarnobrzeg was likely established before 1860 and is located about 1 km east of the market square. In 1860, Rebbe Eliezer Horowitz of Dzików, the progenitor of the Dzików Hasidic dynasty in Tarnobrzeg, died and was buried at the cemetery. An ohel was erected over his grave, and his successors were buried there as well. In 1913, the area of the cemetery was 0.3 hectares (ha), and, in the 1930’s, it was enlarged to 0.6 ha. It was fenced with a brick wall with two gateways which were overgrown with pine trees. The cemetery was destroyed during World War II. The wall and the ohel were pulled down, the tombstones were removed, and the trees were cut down. After the war, the area was used for cattle grazing.

In 1946, human remains collected during the building-over of the old cemetery were buried in the new cemetery. The farthest parts of the cemetery were used to widen Sienkiewicza and Dąbrowska streets. The cemetery was fenced with a metal fence and only a dozen or so found tombstones were brought there and placed in the ground of the cemetery.

In 1966, the descendants of Tarnobrzeg Hasidic dynasty erected a new ohel with plaques commemorating the four Rabbis, their wives, and their daughters. Currently, the area is neglected, densely covered with deciduous trees and shrubs, and littered. There are 14 stelae made of sandstone and terrazzo (the oldest one dates to 1884), and some of them broken.