Tarczyn Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Masovian Voivodeship
Site address
Cemetery doesn’t have an address.
GPS coordinates
51.9846786, 20.8224285
Perimeter length
241 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
There is a 2m high wall made of concrete panels with a metal gate.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The Jewish cemetery of Tarczyn is situated on the north western rural outskirts of the town. The cemetery area is a meadow covered with tall wild grasses and bushes. The site is fenced and information boards have been placed at the entrance gate. No tombstones have been preserved.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

Jewish settlement in Tarczyn began to develop after 1795. 126 Jews lived in the town in 1808, 630 in 1857, and 1,427 in 1921 (56.3% of the total population). Among other notable residents, Rabbis Josef Horowitz (son of Jakow Horowitz) of Lublin and Jechiel Dancygier (son of Szraga Fajwla Dancygier) resided in Tarczyn. In February 1941, the Jews from Tarczyn were deported to the Warsaw Ghetto, most of whom were murdered in 1942 by the Germans in Treblinka.

The cemetery is located about 950 metres (m) north-west of the town centre, on the eastern side of Długa Street, about 380 m north of Cmentarna Street. The cemetery covers plots no. 452/1 and 452/2, with a total area of approximately 4,130 square metres. The cemetery’s establishment date is unknown though, presumably, it was established in the first half of the 19th century. Income from burial fees were listed in records of the Tarczyn Synagogue Fund for the years 1847-1849. During World War II, the cemetery fell into disrepair and continued to decay through the following decades. Almost all the tombstones were removed from the cemetery. A huge part (about 50%) of the cemetery was used as arable land and the rest of the area was used as an illegal landfill. The area was covered with dense, thorny bushes. Since 2016, local community activists have carried out several cleaning projects in the cemetery. Rubbish was removed, and trees and shrubs were cut down. The farmers who used parts of the cemetery as an arable field ceased to do so. In 2018, a partial fence made of concrete slabs was erected. Currently, within the cemetery, there are about 30 tombstones (made of sandstone) in various conditions, most of which were moved according to the actual burial place. The oldest identified matzevah is dated April 26, 1855. A partial list of the preserved tombstones is available at http://cmentarza-zydowskie.pl/tarczyn.htm