Sztabin Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Podlaskie Voivodeship
Site address
The cemetery is located in a forest area, adjacent from the north to the Commune Office (53, Augustowska Street) and to private property (49, Augustowska Street) from the south.
GPS coordinates
53.686577, 23.094328
Perimeter length
539 metres. The exact location and perimeter are unknown. The approximate perimeter is drawn from the old maps. According to information our field team got from Mr Emil Malesiński, the cemetery is a part of present-day cadastral parcel no. 200107_2.0037.AR_1.142/7/ (Perimeter - 165m)
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over
General site condition
The demolished cemetery of Sztabin is situated in the forest adjacent to the Augustowska road in the northern part of the town. The exact perimeter of the cemetery is unclear, the northern part of the cemetery is defined as partly overbuilt by different types of property. The southern part of the cemetery is not overbuilt but is overgrown by high trees and bushes. A fragment of the earthen embankment surrounding the former cemetery is visible. Cemetery area isn’t marked in any way (no information board, no fence). No tombstones have been preserved.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones have been preserved in situ. A single, large concrete block is easy to find amongst the trees. Some sources state that it is part of the grave (a matzevah’s buttress), others that it is a part of the former fencing of the cemetery. 4 preserved matzevot are held in the local museum “Izba Regionalna Ziemi Sztabińskiej im. R. Gębicza”. The tombstones are made of granite stone and metal.
Date of oldest tombstone
1802 (matzevah from the museum)
Date of newest tombstone
1898 (matzevah from the museum)
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

Jewish settlement in Sztabin likely began to develop in the 18th century. In 1776, there was a synagogue in the town and the local Jews were subordinate to the kehilla in Suchowola. In 1789, 58 Jews lived in Sztabin, 224 in 1821, and 946 in 1891 (66% of the entire population). During the 1921 census, 62 Jews were recorded as living in Sztabin. In 1941, the Germans deported the Jews of Sztabin to Augustów and most of them were exterminated between 1942–1943.

The cemetery is located about 700 metres northwest of the town centre, on the west side of Augustowska Street. According to information from the Commune Office in Sztabin, the cemetery was probably located within the contemporary geodetic plots No. 142/7, 142/8, and 144/20. The cemetery’s establishment date is unknown, though it was probably established at the turn of the 19th century. One preserved tombstone dated 1802 suggests that the cemetery must have existed before then. Over the years, the cemetery has seriously deteriorated. In the period of the Polish People’s Republic, a residential block was built in the cemetery. The rest of the area is covered with forest. There is no fence, and the boundaries are unclear, but they are partly marked by an embankment. In 2014, there was a concrete block in the cemetery, which was likely a tomb stabilizing the stele. There is no form of commemoration or memorials of any kind. The tombstones from the cemetery were secured in the Roman Gębicz Regional Chamber in Sztabin. These include the following: a granite fieldstone stele commemorating Mosze, Szemaja’s son, who died on June 2, 1802; a cast iron stele (without the base with the date of death) commemorating Jehuda, son of Mordechaj; and a stele made of granite fieldstone (inscription unreadable).
The plots of land which were separated from the cemetery are privately owned.