Szamosszeg Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery of Szamosszeg was established as early as 1853, since the oldest tombstone found in the cemetery dates to that year. The latest tombstone was erected in 1932. The cemetery has been fenced.
The first Jews supposedly settled in Szamosszeg at the end of the 18th century. In 1840, 20 Jews lived in the village, and 96 in 1880. In 1930, the Jewish population was 94. The Jewish community had its own synagogue, school, and mikveh (ritual bath). In 1942, 10 Jews were conscripted into forced labour. In 1944, following the German occupation of Hungary and immediately after Pesach, the Jews were sent to the Mateszalka Ghetto, and were deported to Auschwitz at the end of May. After the war, only two men and five women returned to the village. The Jewish community of Szamosszeg was never re-established.