Szabolcs Jewish Cemetery
The cemetery is located along Petőfi Street, access is through the reformist Church.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over
General site condition
The Jewish cemetery is on the territory of ancient hillfort from the era of the Pannonian Avars (IX-X century). There used to be the municipal cemetery at the site as well. Some Christian gravestones have remained. The perimeter of the Jewish cemetery is clearly seen.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Preserved construction on site
The Jewish cemetery of Szabolcs was established as early as 1870, since it appears on the cadastral map of that year. It was destroyed at an unknown time. The website “Izraelita Temetok” (http://www.izraelitatemetok.hu/index.php/szabolcs/) states the following with regard to the cemetery: “according to a local museum employee, the tombstones were transferred to Tokaj. [translation]”
According to census data, 6 Jews lived in Szabolcs in 1840. By 1880, The Jewish population peaked at 25 in 1880, and subsequently decreased to 12 in 1910 and 13 in 1920. In 1930, only 5 Jews were registered as living in Szabolcs, and by 1941, no Jews remained in the village.