Świnoujście Old Jewish Cemetery
The first Jews settled in Świnoujście only a few years after the emancipation edict of 1812 granting them civic rights in the Prussian state. As early as 1821, the community asked the city authorities to assign the area to a Jewish cemetery. They were given land near the Protestant cemetery in Friedenstraße (now Chopin Street). With time, it turned out that the communal cemetery became too small for a rapidly developing community and city, and in 1875, the city council suggested that the Jewish community move the cemetery further from the city centre to include the area of the old necropolis into the municipal cemetery. The community agreed to the new area, but did not intend to give up the old cemetery and move the graves to the new cemetery, which was explained on religious grounds. This was only done only in 1928, after many years of dispute, in accordance with the required ritual and at the expense of the city. Today, the cemetery area is part of the city park.
(West Pomeranian Encyclopedia; http://www.pomeranica.pl)
From the mid-nineteenth century, the Jewish community in Świnoujście had its own cemetery, which was located in a rather hard-to-reach place, hidden in a deep forest. It should have been looked for between Heysestraße (today Stanisława Wyspiańskiego Street) and Friedensstraße (today Chopin Street), so west of the old town cemetery and north of the building of the later hospital. The cemetery was small and could probably hold no more than 50 people, therefore the community was soon forced to establish a new cemetery.