Sujuna New Jewish Cemetery
There are two Jewish cemeteries in Sujuna, located adjacent to one another and both of which were in simultaneous use for some time. The legible dates on tombstones indicate the second cemetery was in use from 1893 to 2008.
Sujuna is a village in the Samegrelo-Zemo Svaneti region in Western Georgia. According to various sources, Jews began living in the area by the 11th-12th centuries. Another source, however, states that the Jewish population came to Sujuna from Lailashi in the North-West of Georgia through Bandza at the end of the 17th century. A document dated 1770 suggests that Jewish serfs were gifted to a church in Sujuna and settled near the monastery. In the mid-19th century about 75 Jewish merchants lived in the town who played an active role in the region’s trade. According to the documents of the USSR’s Council for the Affairs of Religious Cults, the stone synagogue in Sujuna was built in 1819, and about 100 people were attending it for religious holidays in the mid-20th century.