Sudova Vyshnya Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Sudova Vyshnya
Site address
10, Stusa Street.
GPS coordinates
49.78728, 23.38136
Perimeter length
318 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished and overbuilt Jewish cemetery
General site condition
There is an agricultural warehouse situated on the cemetery's former territory.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

Information on the cemetery’s establishment is unknown, but it was marked on maps from the 1850s, 1880s and 1939. It can be supposed that it was demolished during or after WWII and later built over.

Information about the first Jews of the Sudova Vyshnya community dates back to the mid-16th century. In 1765, 120 Jews were living in the town. By the late 18th century, the Jewish community had become independent. At that time it was maintaining a synagogue and a cemetery. By 1890, the Jewish population numbered 1,309 (30% of the total population). The Zionist movement was active through the association “Zion” in 1902. In three years, a library and a reading hall were operating. The Jewish population grew to 1,164 (24% of the total population) in 1910. In the interwar period, many Zionist organisations like “Beitar,” “Hokma,” and others were active. In 1931, 900 Jews resided in Sudova Vyshnya. During 1932-34, a Hebrew Tarbut school was operating. The town of Sudova Vyshnya was occupied on June 27, 1941. On April 15, 1942, 450 Jews were expelled to Janowska concentration camp. The remaining Jewish population were deported to the extermination camp Belzec or to the Yavoriv ghetto in October and December 1942.

3D model