Suchan Jewish Cemetery
Opposite the forest road leading to the cemetery, in a house at 99a Pomorska Street, lives a forester from the local forest division (the formal owner of the cemetery land). The forester assured the ESJF team he makes sure that there are no acts of vandalism, littering or other unworthy behaviour at the cemetery. The cemetery area is also excluded from planned tree felling. The forester stated his opposition to fencing or marking the cemetery with information boards on the grounds that this might have the “opposite effect”, meaning that he believes it would encourage bystanders to go to the cemetery with malicious intent.
Preserved historical elements: Seven matzevot, a few tombstone bases and frames, and other post-cemetery stones.
The Jewish cemetery in Suchań was established at the beginning of the 19th century on a wooded hill on the eastern edge of the town, south of the old forester’s lodge and east of Arnswalder Landstraße (today’s Leśna Street). There was a path leading to the site that diverged from the main road. Currently, this place is located at ul. Leśna (approx. 50 m east of the road, on a hill), also in the vicinity of ul. Pomorska (approx. 150 m south of the road.
The cemetery functioned until the interwar period. In 1996, there were still the remains of a dozen or so tombstones, some of them in a state of disintegration. It is a forest area, unstructured, unfenced, partially overgrown and unmarked.
The Jewish cemetery in Suchań was established at the beginning of the 19th century on a hill to the south-east of the city, at Arnswalderstrasse (now Leśna Street). He belonged to a relatively small Jewish community. The Jews lived in Suchań as early as the 18th century, but until the third decade of the 19th century it did not exceed a dozen or so people. It was only in the 1930s that the number of Jews in the city increased to over 30, in the middle of the century to almost 60, and in 1861 it reached its highest level – 76 people of Jewish origin, constituting approximately four percent of the city’s population. At the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries, the number of kehilla members decreased and amounted to 43 people in 1899, and from 28 to 36 people in 1911-1913. In 1939, only nine people of Jewish origin remained in the city. The Jewish cemetery survived World War II, but fell into oblivion and deteriorated.
(West Pomeranian Encyclopedia; http://encyklopedia.szczecin.pl)