Strusiv Jewish Сemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
The cemetery is located opposite to the Greek-Catholic cemetery on the crossroads of the main street and Stepova Street.
GPS coordinates
49.34021, 25.60877
Perimeter length
265 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
Part of the cemetery site is surrounded by a metal fence of 1.2 metres height. From the eastern and probably southern sides the fencing does not correspond the cemetery borders. Around 10 gravestones are located outside the cemetery fence.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is slightly overgrown, it is maintained by Israel Meir Gabbai. The site requires clearing. The eastern and probably southern sides require re-fencing.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
1853 (oldest found by ESJF expedition)
Date of newest tombstone
1935 (latest found by ESJF expedition)
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. The cemetery appears on the Austro-Hungarian First Military survey map of 1780s. Most probably, it was established in mid or late 18th century, when the community developed its institutions. According to epigraphic data gathered during the survey, the earliest preserved tombstones date to 1850s.

The first records about the Jews in Strusiv relate to the first half of the 17th century. 119 Jews were inhabitants of the town in 1765. The Jews were mostly involved in leasing and trade. In the late 18th century, the Jewish community became independent. The first rabbi of Stusiv was Mendel-Pinkhas bar Eliezer Shapiro Mlantzot. In 1880, the Jewish population reached 559 (20,8% of the total population). By 1900, this figure grew to 735 (25,9% of the total population) and dropped to 579 (24% of the total population) in 1921. Hassidism was present in the town. In autumn 1942, the Jews of Strusiv were sent to the Belzec death camp.

3D model