Stoyaniv Jewish Cemetery
The cemetery is located opposite the house at 30, Tarnavs'koho Street.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is partly fenced. Three sides of the cemetery are surrounded by an old metal fence of one-meter height.
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is severely overgrown. It requires clearing and fencing.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
1915 (oldest found by ESJF expedition)
Date of newest tombstone
1936 (latest found by ESJF expedition)
Urgency of erecting a fence
Preserved construction on site
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. First, it was marked on the 3rd Austro-Hungarian military survey of the 1880s.
Jews were present in Stoyaniv from 1629. Jews were engaged in trade and craft as well as wooden houses building. The Belz Hasidism dominated. In 1900, the Jewish population numbered 726 (15% of the total population). In the interwar period, the Zionist organizations were functioning. In the 1930s, antisemitism was spread among the locals. The Germans occupied Stoyaniv on June 24, 1941. On September 12, 1942, the Jewish population of Stoyaniv was deported to the Belzec death camp, and some Jews were murdered on the spot.