Storozhnytsia Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
The cemetery is located in the backyard of 215, Peremohy Street.
GPS coordinates
48.59507, 22.23434
Perimeter length
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is surrounded by a metal mesh fence with a gabion, installed by ESJF in August 2017.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is in good condition.
Number of existing gravestones
38. Some tombstones are laid out flat on the ground, and some are broken.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The cemetery was existing at least from the year 1865, evident from the dating of the oldest tombstone found by the ESJF expedition. It was active until 1941.

Jews are believed to have arrived in Storozhnytsya during the first half of the 18th century. In 1768, four Jews lived in the town. In 1830, the Jewish population numbered around 193, increasing to 325 in 1880 (24% of the total population). By 1921, during the Czechoslovakian period, the Jewish population had decreased to 235. Hungarian forces arrived in March 1939 and, in 1941, drafted dozens of young Jews into forced labour battalions. Others were sent to the Eastern front, where most perished. In 1941, the Jewish population numbered 241 individuals. In the same year, some families without Hungarian citizenship were expelled to Kamenets-Podolski in Nazi-occupied Ukrainian territory and murdered. The remaining Jews of Storozhnytsya were deported to Auschwitz in late May 1944. No Jews live in the town today.

3D model