Stepan Jewish Cemetery
Across the road from 12 Stepana Bandery Street, to the east.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is surrounded by a 1.5 metre tall metal mesh fence. The fence is rusty and destroyed in places. Some of the concrete pillars have been replaced with wooden ones.
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery has a total perimeter of 440 metres and a fenced perimeter of 270 metres. The southern section of the site has been demolished and is now occupied by private houses. The majority of the preserved site is clear and well maintained, although some parts are slightly overgrown.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
There is a tsiyun dedicated to one Rabbi David of Stepan', a student of Maggid from Mezhyrich; Rabbi Yosef Yoel, son of rav Yaakov Aharon Helprin, student of Besht; Rabbi Aharon Shmuel, author of "veTso haKohen"; Rabbanith Eydele, mother; and rabbanith Ester Sheyndl, wife of the author of "Sefer Smikhat Khakhamim". There is a memorial dedicated to the Jewish villagers murdered between ancient times and 1943.
The exact period of the cemetery’s foundation is unknown, but it can be inferred from the dates on the tombstones that it was established in the early 20th century. It first appears on a Russian map from 1904. The cemetery was also mentioned in Yizkor memorial book of Stepan’ issued in 1977 and marked on its map.