Stara Pryluka Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Stara Pryluka
Site address
The cemetery can be found on Nekrasov Street, opposite the House of Culture.
GPS coordinates
49.3867, 28.71771
Perimeter length
It is impossible to delineate the perimeter.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished and overbuilt Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery has been demolished, and the site is now occupied by private houses. None of the local residents could attest to the Jewish cemetery’s existence, but they did say there is a mass grave located nearby the indicated coordinates.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

According to the Commission on the Preservation of Jewish Heritage, the cemetery was established in the 18th century and demolished in the 1930s, during collectivization.

Pryluka was first mentioned in 1146; by 1594, it already had around 4000 households. The region at the time belonged to the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. In the beginning of the 18th century it was divided into Stara Pryluka and Nova Pryluka (Old and New Prylukas), and the most active Jewish life moved to Nova Pryluka. These two towns situated next to each other were actually separate towns for the majority of their existence.
In 1793, after the Second partition of Poland, it came under the control of the Russian Empire, and became a part of the Kiev Governorate (Kievskaya Gubernia). By the end of the 19th century most of Prilukas’ Jews lived in Nova Pryluka. In 1897, only 150 Jews lived in Stara Pryluka of a total of 2321. In 1900 a Jew leased a brick factory, which provided jobs for 8 workers.
After 1922, Prylukas became a part of the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic within the USSR.
In 1941, Prylukas was occupied by the Germans and Romanians and included in the Transnistria Governorate.
In 1991, after the collapse of the Soviet Union, Prylukas became a part of the independent Ukraine.
The old cemetery of Prylukas was established in the 18th century and demolished in the 1930s.