Stara Kotelnya Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. It emerged no later then the early 20th century, as the earliest preserved tombstone dates to 1909. It is not marked on maps.
Jews likely began to settle in Stara Kotel’nia (Ukr. Стара Котельня, Rus. Старая Котельня, Yid. קאָטעלנע) in the early 18th century. The Jewish population was 157 in 1756, 450 in 1847, and 1,345, which was 42% of the total population, in 1897. As of 1885, the community maintained a synagogue and a prayer house. After WWI and the Civil War, the Jewish population had fallen to 896 in 1926. No information is available about the fate of any Jews who may have remained in Stara Kotel’nia after the Germans arrived in 1941.
The cemetery is actually located in Nova Kotel’nia. It is not known when the cemetery was founded. The earliest tombstone dates back to 1889.